Are you losing the health insurance plan you've enjoyed through your job? Maybe it's because you're leaving for another job, starting your own business or retiring. No matter what the reason, FollowMe Health can help.
What is FollowMe Health Insurance?
If you're losing your work health plan, FollowMe Health Insurance can make sure you're covered as soon as your work plan ends, keeping you protected from many health care costs not covered by your provincial health plan.
Plus, your acceptance is guaranteed, upon receipt of your first premium payment, as long as you apply within 90 days of losing your work plan.
No matter what the reason for losing your job's health insurance, FollowMe Health can start where your work plan ends, so you never have to go without coverage for health care expenses not fully covered by your provincial health plan.
- Your acceptance is guaranteed* if you apply within 90 days of your work plan ending - so you don't have to answer medical questions!
- Choose from 4 different plans based on your needs and budget (Basic, Enhanced, Enhanced Plus and Premiere).
- Make easy electronic claims for most prescription drug and dental claims.
- These plans are portable, so unlike a plan you have through work, it will always stay with you as long as you keep up your payments.
There's no age maximum. To apply, you just need to be a Costco member and Canadian resident, age 18 or older. Applicants must be members of a provincial or territorial health plan. If you are a Quebec resident, you must also be registered under the RAMQ Prescription Drug Insurance Plan.
See how your premiums may be tax deductible
If you're self-employed, your health and dental plan could essentially pay for itself.
If you're an employee of your own business, health and dental premiums may be a non-taxable benefit to you and a tax deductible expense to your business. For others, the premiums may qualify as a medical expense and create a tax credit. Please contact the Canada Revenue Agency or your financial advisor for details.
Health and Dental Plan Annual Premium: $1,100 Tax deduction assuming 40% marginal rate -$440 Total Net Cost $660 Saved Annual Expenses (paid through health & dental plan) Prescription Drug Costs -$140 Dental costs -$210 Contact lenses -$100 Chiropractor/Registered Massage Therapist -$210 Total Expenses -$660 Your Cost -$0
What is not covered
In addition to any other exclusions set out in the policy that you receive, the FollowMe Health Insurance plan cannot pay benefits for:
- charges resulting from self-inflicted injury while sane or insane;
- charges that are eligible for payment by a government health insurance plan or reimbursement by a manufacturer rebate program;
- charges for care, services or supplies that are for cosmetic purposes, except when in connection with reconstructive surgery to repair or replace tissue damaged by disease or bodily injury;
- charges for drugs, tests, services, treatment or supplies that are not medically necessary, or which are experimental as determined by the insurer;
- charges that are deemed excessive by Manulife, relative to the usual, reasonable and customary charges in your area of residence;
- charges for hospitalization if the person is confined in a hospital on the effective date, except when the confinement is due to an emergency occurring after the application date;
- charges for services, equipment and supplies provided in a chronic care or psychiatric hospital or institution, chronic care unit of a hospital, psychiatric unit of a hospital or when a patient is confined to a long-term care facility or a transition ward of an acute hospital;
- charges incurred for which payment under this plan is illegal;
- charges for duplicate or replacement prosthetic appliances, devices or durable medical equipment, except where replacement is required because the existing item can no longer be made serviceable due to normal wear, or as a result of a change in the patient’s condition that makes a replacement necessary;
- charges for eligible services provided outside your province or territory of residence, if they are more than Manulife would have paid for such services if they were provided in the province or territory of residence, determined as of the date the last service was provided outside the province or territory of residence;
- charges resulting from care, services or supplies due to sickness or injury resulting from war, invasion, acts of foreign enemies, hostilities, warlike operations (whether war be declared or not), civil war, rebellion, revolution, insurrection, civil commotion assuming the proportions of or amounting to an uprising, military or usurped power, hijacking, any act of terrorism or any action taken in controlling, preventing or suppressing any of the foregoing, including claims which are as a result of or in any way connected or associated with such events or causes and regardless of any other cause or event contributing concurrently or in any other sequence thereto. For the purpose of this exclusion, "act of terrorism" means an act including, but not limited to, the use of force or violence and/or the threat thereof, by any person or groups of persons, whether acting alone or on behalf of or in connection with any organization or government, committed for political, religious, ideological, or similar purposes including the intention to influence any government and/or to put the public, or any section of the public, in fear, or an act that has been determined by the appropriate federal authority to have been an act of terrorism;
- charges or benefits, in full or in part, that are removed from government coverage after the effective date of this plan;
- charges for drugs, medicines, services or supplies that have been self-prescribed, or prescribed by or for family members;
- charges resulting from medical conditions or ailments that were deemed to be excluded in the counter-offer letter you signed and accepted, if you were asked to sign one;
- charges for hospitalization due to pregnancy or pregnancy-related conditions, if on the application date of the policy, the policyholder is twenty-one (21) weeks pregnant or greater. However, benefits are payable if the policyholder is less than twenty-one (21) weeks pregnant on the application date, in which case Manulife will cover a maximum of two (2) days of hospitalization if hospitalization is a result of the pregnancy or complication of the pregnancy.
*Guaranteed acceptance is dependent on receipt of your first premium payment. Applicants must be members of a provincial or territorial health plan. The FollowMeTM Health insurance plan is not intended to provide and will not provide the same coverage that you may have had under your group health insurance plan. FollowMeTM Health plan is not recommended to be offered or sold to groups of employees residing in Quebec for whom An Act Respecting Prescription Drug Insurance mandates the basic plan coverage.